Joanne’s practice encompasses contentious, commercial and advisory work across all IP rights, including trade marks and passing off, designs, copyright and patents. She has advised clients from a variety of industry sectors, including high-end fashion brands, electronic musical device manufacturers, video game publishers, furniture and homeware designers, software companies, food franchises and movie studios.
Joanne’s contentious experience includes acting for clients in contested registry proceedings before the UK IPO, the Appointed Person and the EU IPO, including appeals to the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union. Joanne also has experience acting for clients in litigation before the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (IPEC) and High Court. In addition, Joanne has experience of alternative dispute resolution, particularly mediation.
Joanne’s commercial and advisory experience includes assisting with international franchise agreements and licensing agreements, advising on brand clearance issues and drafting terms and conditions of use for various online products.
Joanne regularly contributes articles and case summaries to intellectual property publications including ITMA Review, World Trade Mark Review Daily and IP Forum. Joanne is also a contributor to the INTA Cancellation Guide for the EU.
Contentious work includes:
- Acting for Skype in a dispute with Sky concerning the registration of the word mark SKYPE before the EU IPO and General Court.
- Acting for Gucci in revocation proceedings concerning its iconic “GG” logo, on appeal from the UK IPO (Gerry Weber International BV v Guccio Gucci SpA).
- Acting for the publishers of an iconic video game franchise in a dispute in the High Court involving copyright and trade mark infringement, passing off and malicious falsehood.
- Defending trade mark and passing off proceedings for an international food franchise before the IPEC.
- Successfully defending cancellation proceedings against a registered community design before the EU IPO for a musical electronic device manufacturer.
- Advising a manufacturer of mechanical chair mechanisms in a dispute concerning UK unregistered design right.
- Representing a global fashion house in multiple contentious registry proceedings and undertaking brand protection work including advising on and filing oppositions.
- Acting for an overseas restaurant chain in trade mark infringement and passing off proceedings before the IPEC.
- Acting for furniture retailer and interior design company OKA Direct in trade mark infringement proceedings before the IPEC.
- Advising on a copyright enforcement programme for a major computer games publisher to eliminate copyright infringements of computer game content as well as unauthorised merchandising.
- Advising on a High Court case concerning copyright infringement in artistic works and the infringement of moral rights in those works.
Commercial and advisory work includes:
- Advising a fashion retailer on freedom to operate, addressing, in particular, issues of patent infringement and validity.
- Undertaking clearance work on proposed names for new products or projects for a major software company.
- Assisting with the international franchising agreements and strategy for a global fashion brand.
- Drafting terms and conditions of use for an online game and a collaborative community platform, both in the computer gaming industry.
- Drafting standard licence and licensing agency agreements for a licensing agency, as well as advising on individual deals with licensees.
Joanne read Law at the University of Cambridge, and subsequently went on to obtain an M.Phil in Criminology from the same institution. In 2012, she obtained an MBA in Legal Services from BBP Business School, a tailor made qualification which was designed specifically for Simmons & Simmons LLP where she completed her training contract. During her training contract Joanne undertook a six month client secondment. Joanne joined Redd in 2013 and completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice at the University of Oxford in July 2015.
Joanne is a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) and the Society for Junior IP Practitioners (IPSoc).
Joanne regularly contributes articles and case summaries to intellectual property publications including ITMA Review, World Trademark Review Daily and IP Forum.
t: +44 (0) 20 7776 4760