Maeve advises on a diverse range of intellectual property issues. She is particularly interested in the life-sciences, pharmaceutical and medical device fields and has advised on numerous patent and SPC matters. She has also cultivated a keen interest in intellectual property issues affecting broadcast media, having worked at two of the UK's largest broadcasters, the BBC and BSkyB. Maeve has advised on many copyright issues, including format claims, music copyright disputes, copyright term and fair dealing. She also has experience of trade mark and passing off matters, in addition to confidentiality issues and royalty disputes.
Maeve has assisted in patent and SPC invalidity proceedings before the High Court and has advised on a number of County Court claims. Her experience of overseas matters, includes coordinating pan-European patent and SPC litigation strategy and managing US trade mark infringement proceedings.
- Acting for the defendant in patent infringement and validity proceedings in the High Court in relation to a medical device, with parallel proceedings in other European jurisdictions including the European Patent Office.
- Advising a generics manufacturer on patent and regulatory matters in relation to its launch plans for Pregabalin.
- Acting for a medical device company co-ordinating patent validity and infringement proceedings in several European forums.
- Advising a diversified business conglomerate on intricate intra-group patent assignment and licensing arrangements.
- Negotiating a global design and technology licence and technical services agreement for road safety equipment.
- Advising on a patent licensing agreement relating to a breakthrough cancer treatment, including competition law issues.
- Reviewing and advising on the interpretation of software agreements.
- Making a successful application to the High Court for an Order giving effect to a Letter of Request issued by a US District Court.
- Negotiating and drafting settlement agreements, including cross-undertaking agreements.
- Advising on contentious trade mark registry matters for a leading global software, hardware and consumer electronics business.
- Advising on the registration of non-traditional trade marks.
- Advising on trade mark infringement disputes.
- Dealing with various contentious copyright matters including music copyright disputes.
- Advising a leading fashion brand on a complex copyright dispute concerning issues of infringement, subsistence and title.
- Advising on measures to protect confidential information in the context of judicial proceedings.
Prior to joining Redd
- Actavis v Sanofi  – acting for Sanofi in proceedings brought by Actavis to challenge the validity of Sanofi’s SPC for hypertension combination drug, Co-Aprovel.
- Advising Sanofi on the European aspects of the above litigation, including overseeing active litigation in 5 jurisdictions.
- Assisting in relation to multi-jurisdictional patent matters for a number of major pharmaceutical companies.
- Advising on, and settling, trade mark infringement proceedings in the United States with the assistance of local counsel.
- Providing advice to journalists and programme makers regarding pre-broadcast trade mark and copyright queries.
- Advising on brand protection strategies and undertaking a wide range of brand enforcement work.
- Advising on copyright issues relating to new methods of disseminating and curating broadcast content.
- Advising on music copyright claims, a number of which involved issues relating to the main UK music collecting societies.
- Advising on a number of disputes in the broadcast field that involved privacy, defamation, contempt and confidentiality issues, in addition to disagreements over royalty rates and format claims.
After graduating from University College Cork in 2006 with a BSc in Genetics, Maeve gained an MA in Medical Law and Ethics from Queen Mary, University of London in 2007. She joined Herbert Smith in 2009 as a trainee solicitor and was seconded to BSkyB for the final six months of her training contract. She qualified into Herbert Smith's Intellectual Property Department in 2011 and was awarded a Diploma in Intellectual Property Law from the University of Oxford in 2012. Maeve spent two years working in the BBC's Intellectual Property team before joining Redd in 2014.
Maeve is a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
t: +44 (0) 20 7776 4760