Simon is a founding partner of Redd and is widely acclaimed for his expertise in transactions involving a significant intellectual property component, including licensing, technology transfer, franchising, e-commerce and distribution deals both in the UK and internationally. He also regularly advises on contractual disputes arising from IP and technology transactions as well as competition law issues relating to commercial agreements.
His clients cover a broad range of brand and innovation-led businesses including fashion and luxury goods, computer games, electronics and other FMCG. Much of his work has an international element.
Simon has lectured on IP licensing and is a tutor and examiner on copyright and designs on the Oxford University Post-Graduate IP Diploma Course. He regularly gives talks to clients and at conferences in the UK and overseas on IP matters, particularly licensing.
He is known for his highly commercial, down to earth approach. He is ranked as a leader in the field for transactional intellectual property work in the legal directories. Reporters have commented that Simon is a "go-to lawyer for commercial transactions" and that “his reports are crystal clear and his commercial advice is bang on. He always knows the best strategy for moving forward.”
- Involved in many licensing and merchandising transactions both in the UK and internationally across a wide variety of product categories including, for example: clothing, footwear, toys, lingerie, satellite television channels, books, games, home-ware, eyewear, sporting goods, cosmetics and perfumes.
- Advising on brand protection strategies and other brand-related issues including: comparative advertising, product and event sponsorship and personality rights.
- Advising on trade mark infringement and passing off matters (including issues with parodies, "look-alikes" and well known marks) as well as co-existence and other settlement agreements.
- Advising on numerous retail franchising and area development transactions particularly in the fashion/luxury goods and restaurant industries. Invariably these transactions are international. Simon has led franchising transactions in excess of twenty five countries across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Americas.
- Simon has considerable legal experience in the computer games sector spanning more than 15 years having acted on numerous game development, licensing and distribution deals as well as advising on numerous infringement and other IP specific issues concerning game content and other issues of importance in computer games development and publishing.
Patent, technology and software
- Negotiating and drafting numerous licensing agreements on a diverse range of industries including life sciences, industrial textiles and cosmetics.
- Drafting and advising on software licensing and development contracts; service agreements including 'software as a service' agreements; web development and hosting.
Distribution, Sales, Marketing and E-Commerce
- Advising on trading contracts including supply, distribution (including selective distribution) and agency contracts, terms of business and issues relating to advertising and sales promotions.
- Advising on all legal aspects of e-commerce including drafting and advising on e-commerce terms of sale and service, privacy and data protection policies.
- Advising on UK and EU Competition law issues as they affect intellectual property licensing and other commercial transactions.
Simon studied Law at Birmingham University before training at Gouldens. He qualified as a Solicitor in 1991, became a partner in 1998 and stayed with the firm through its merger with Jones Day. In 2004, he left to set up Redd.
Simon is currently co-opted to the Council of the Licensing Executive Society Britain & Ireland. He is a member of AIPPI and an associate member of ITMA.
He is ranked as a leader in the field of intellectual property by the leading legal directories.
- Who’s Who Legal (Trade Marks) (2016).
- "a transactions titan with particular knowledge of the fashion and luxury goods, computer games and electronics sectors." - IAM Patent 1000 (2016).
- "very practical adviser who gives good advice on possible options and the best ways of managing negotiations." - Chambers UK (2016).
- a "well-respected and innovative non-contentious IP lawyer" - Legal 500 (2015).
- "…a go-to lawyer for commercial transactions across all sectors of the industry and involving all core IP rights. One source says: 'his service and knowledge are impeccable'" - Chambers UK (2015).
- "extolled for his in-depth non-contentious know-how" - WTR 1000 (2015).
- a "contractual guru" - IAM Patent 1000 (2015).
- “his reports are crystal clear and his commercial advice is bang on. He always knows the best strategy for moving forward” - Chambers Global (2014).
- “true licensing specialist – his advice on trademark policy should be prized because he can really make a mark work for a business.” - WTR 1000 (2014).
- “a master of all aspects of the monetisation of patents and technology” - IAM Patent 1000 (2014).
- Recommended Individual (Intellectual Property) - Legal 500 (2014).
- Who’s Who - Trade Marks (2014).
- IP Star (Trade Marks) - MIP World IP Survey (2014).
t: +44 (0) 20 7776 4760