Anna is one of the ‘go to’ lawyers for contentious trade mark, designs and copyright work in the UK and Europe. For many years she has been ranked by legal directories as a leader in the intellectual property field and in the top tier for trade mark litigation, and has been described as “head and shoulders above the competition” (WTR 1000).
Anna has unparalleled experience gained from 30 years in practice as a solicitor, barrister and solicitor-advocate. Her cases have taken her through the UK IPO, the EUIPO, the IP Enterprise Court, the High Court, the Court of Appeal, the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union and have included urgent ex parte applications, interim injunctions and multi-jurisdictional litigation and complex appeals.
Anna works with clients spanning a wide range of industries and professions including pharmaceuticals, software, consumer electronics, food and drink, luxury goods, personal care, office products, entertainment and insurance. In addition to her busy litigation practice, Anna regularly advises across a wide range of topics, including brand and design clearances, litigation tactics and strategy and dispute avoidance, and provides opinions (including second and expert opinions) on matters of English and EU law.
Having been an Appointed Person for over 7 years (2007-15) and a Nominet DRS Expert since 2004, Anna has considerable experience of acting in a judicial and quasi-judicial capacity. She is also an experienced CEDR-accredited mediator.
- Acting for a well-known ice cream brand in connected EUIPO and IP Enterprise Court proceedings for trade mark infringement and passing off, including appearing as advocate in a strike-out application.
- Representing Gilead in revocation and invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO.
- Assisting 3M in a successful anti-counterfeiting operation to stop the distribution of fake 3M PPS (Paint Preparation System) products.
- Advising innovative Peruvian restaurant chain, Ceviche, on brand protection and strategy;
- Acting for a US video games publisher in a High Court action for copyright and trade mark infringement, passing off and malicious falsehood.
- Representing Gucci in revocation proceedings concerning its iconic “GG” logo, on appeal from the UK IPO (Gerry Weber International BV v Guccio Gucci SpA).
- Acting for Microsoft in the High Court in a trade mark infringement and passing off case brought by British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc against the use of the name ‘SkyDrive’ for a cloud storage service (British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc v Microsoft Corporation).
- Representing the estate of a well-known British artist in a copyright infringement claim against a large multinational high street business.
- Advising luxury haircare brand, Moroccanoil, in a series of disputes (both in and out of court) with entities dealing in counterfeits and lookalike products.
- Advising Trinity Mirror’s regional newspaper business in relation to oppositions in the UK IPO and the EUIPO against News Group relating to the title for the Sunday edition of The Sun newspaper (ncjMedia v News Group).
- Advising Philip Morris in relation to the impact on its intellectual property rights of the proposed introduction of plain packaging.
- Representing a well-known drinks brand in multiple invalidity proceedings before the EUIPO and the General Court, and co-ordinating these with infringement proceedings in Scotland.
- Obtaining an interim injunction to prevent further sales of a ‘lookalike’ soft drink.
Anna studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge University before converting to Law. She trained at Linklaters, qualified as a solicitor in 1988 and became a partner in 1996 and Head of the London IP Group in 2001. Anna qualified as a Solicitor Advocate in 2000 and, in 2003, was called to the Bar and joined Wilberforce Chambers, where she practised as an independent barrister specialising in intellectual property litigation. She returned to a solicitor practice in 2010 and joined Redd as a partner in January 2012.
From 2007 to 2015 Anna sat as an Appointed Person, hearing and deciding trade mark appeals from the UK IPO. As a Nominet DRS Expert since 2004, she has also determined numerous domain name disputes, such as LOCOG v David Tiley (see also here) and in 2012 was appointed to Nominet’s Expert Review Group, which involves quality control of decisions and sitting on appeal panels.
Having been a CEDR-accredited mediator since 2004, Anna has been involved in numerous mediations, acting in the roles of solicitor, advocate and mediator.
Anna has been a member of the Board of Directors of INTA (2012-2014), and chairs INTA's Unfair Competition Committee (2016-17) as well as being on its Brexit Rapid Response Group. She is also a member of AIPPI, ECTA, PTMG and an Associate Member of CITMA and CIPA. She is on the editorial boards of the European Trade Mark Reports and the Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, and enjoys giving talks and writing articles about topical issues in intellectual property law.
She is ranked as a leader in the field by the legal directories and in the top tier for trade mark litigation:
- "Anna Carboni... is a "super-smart" top talent who provides "to-the-point advice"... "Sensible, business-minded and a pleasure to deal with." - WTR 1000 (2017).
- Listed as an Expert in Who’s Who Legal (Trade Marks) (2016).
- a "deep thinker" who "proposes very creative solutions." - Chambers UK (2016).
- Legal 500 (2015) – Leading Individuals, Intellectual Property, Band 1.
- "very friendly" and "phenomenally knowledgeable." - Chambers UK (2015).
- “superb technical lawyer" and “'Outstanding', 'excellent' and 'fantastic' are just some of the superlatives used to describe her." - WTR 1000 (2015) - Enforcement and Litigation - Gold.
- “has a sterling reputation among sources for her ‘meticulous approach’, ‘fine degree of common sense’ and good judgement.” - Chambers UK (2014).
- “a highly respected trade mark expert” - Legal 500 (2014) – Leading Individuals, Intellectual Property, Band 1.
- “Her ‘outstanding background, unimpeachable knowledge of the industry and superb client-handling abilities’ set her head and shoulders above the competition” WTR 1000 (2014) – Enforcement and Litigation – Gold.
- "one of the most highly rated individuals in the world" - Who’s Who Legal (Trade Marks) (2014) - Most Highly Regarded Individuals, Europe.
- IAM/MIP IP Star (Intellectual Property/Trade Marks) (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
- Super Lawyers (Intellectual Property) (2013, 2014, 2015).
t: +44 (0) 20 7776 4760